Thursday, February 4, 2010

Heading Out on Friday 2-5-2010

Well it is Thursday February 04, 2010, Scrappy is at work and I am getting everything ready. We are planning on going caching tomorrow (Friday 2-5-2010). Scrappy is off of work and we decided to go out caching during the day. I made sure both GPS units are loaded and everything is set to go. I also loaded up the palm pilot and made sure everything is set with that. I forgot to take the new palm pilot with us last time we went out (my mistake). We have the palm so we can go paperless but it only works if you bring it with you. So we have both GPS units loaded, palm loaded, and the location of our first cache. Back pack is loaded and ready; I cleaned it out and organized it. The cold weather bag (hats, gloves, sweat pants, and sweat shirts) is ready. So what is next I don’t know??


A little background about Scrappy Scout, we started caching around 2006, but we have had our problems that have kept us from caching. Between work and life in general we couldn’t get out as much as we wanted too. Then when we started back up again the GPS wouldn’t work. I don’t know what happened to it, but for some reason it would not lock onto a satellite. I could be sitting in a field with a clear view of the sky no clouds to be seen and it would search and search forever. There were a couple of times where I was able to lock on with no problems so I would try and go out then. I would hit a couple caches here and there then lose satellite service again and the day was over. After talking to people at the WGA (Wisconsin Geocaching Association) I found out that Garmin has a great service program so I called them and they tried a couple things and still it would not work so I sent it in. About 2 weeks later I got a new one in the mail. I put new batteries in it and within about 5 mins full lock and it has been working great ever since. During this time we bought a used Lowrance I-finder H2Oc which also works really well. So we now have 3 units total we have a Garmin 60cs, a Lowrance I-finder H2Oc, and Garmin E-Trex legend. So we are loaded and ready to go.

Our number is currently at 82 but we are planning on hitting the first milestone of 100 tomorrow (Friday 2-5-2010). Wish us luck it has been a long time coming. We have been looking forward to hitting that mark for a long time. I will make sure I take a lot of pictures to post.

Scout

No comments:

Post a Comment